Tuesday, December 11, 2012

CAVALIA

In a semi sleepy haze, I saw large white "castle-turretesque" tents through bayside windows rising from a parking lot near San Diego Metro's clock tower station at twelfth and Imperial. Trolley rides can be sleep inducing. It was a long ride from La Mesa. Although San Diego's Trolley system covers a large expanse of the county and is in the discomfort of repairs that will extend into 2013, all tracks still converge at the Twelfth Street Station. We rode through the station and on past this other worldly encampment with a beautifully painted sign whispering mystery:
 


Images of knights and cavaliers danced in my thoughts.

I rubbed my eyes. The tents were still there, majestic, serene, almost like a fairy tale village. Later during that first week, I watched as large arena sized tents, medium sized tents, and small tents, were erected. A week later, these were followed by trucks, trailers, equipment, and . . . hay. Soon, banners, sides of busses, bus stops, bus benches, and billboards throughout San Diego announced in elegant letters . . . CAVILIA.

Fellow musician, music producer and friend Lamont West and I during a long Saturday afternoon stroll near the fences that now had colorful banners displaying stunningly elegant horses on a green lush wooded background took pictures in front of the tents. I returned a few weeks after to take photos from an arial view.

                                           View from Pedestrian Bridge over Harbor Drive



                                    View from Pedestrian Bridge over Harbor Drive

Another week later, television adds began to air displaying equestrian elegance and grace.  I couldn't help but admire their marketing department. Friday that week, during one of my early morning strolls, I got up courage to ask a few of the workers securing and checking various types of equipment. 

"Hello," I said.

"Aillo," they replied.

Their French accent reminded my of my years as a child growing up in Buffalo New York, listening to and watching French Canadian television to enhance my high school French classwork. Indeed,  CAVILIA is from Quebec. The workers and I talked for several minutes. They graciously indulged me and my halting French, responding slowly and clearly for me to follow their words. I enjoyed the conversation. Late last month, I learned that the show will stay in San Diego until at least December 30th. 





If you are planning to be in San Diego during the holidays, this extravaganza is definitely worth seeing . . . .http://www.cavalia.net/en/cavalia-show

Delores Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment